Saturday, August 28, 2010

April's new book "Butterfly Rocks"

I'm very proud of April's creativity. Finding sometimes a few minutes at a time, she's finally published a children's book: Butterfly Rocks. Her artistically talented mother (Jo) was the illustrator.

The story is sweet yet powerful, weaving the story of a woman named Sue (who has cancer, but refuses to let that define her) and a boy named Jack (who receives a mysterious "butterfly rock"). April deftly handles cancer; although matter-of-fact about the impact of illness, she never treads heavily on the subject in a way to scare children. The story is both comforting and inspiring. As for the pictures, Jo may have found her second calling.

What's even more amazing is that it's based on a true story. For the sake of privacy, I'll stop there. But it adds another level of warmth to the book.

It's available from the website Blurb, where you can buy single copies. I've permanently added a widget for the book to the right of my blog, but here's another one to go with this entry. Note that the sample pages are random, and skip around different parts of the book:



Congratulations, April! You're artistic and beautiful! I'm very proud.

In other quick personal news, the school year has started in a fine way -- the students and my classes are great -- and even had a chance to finally launch that long story (which looks like it'll be novel length) with a little help from friends (thanks, Laura!). I'm writing in small chunks at a time, but my goal is to finish it by the end of next summer. More news later . . .